- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 12 ounces (340 g) boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1/2 cup (110 g) butter, cut into pieces.
- 3 cups (720 ml) whole milk
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 cup (125 g) all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup (140 g) fine breadcrumbs
- Sunflower oil or mild olive oil.
- 8 chopped onion
1. In a skillet or sauté pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
2. Season the chicken with salt and sauté until cooked through, about 10 minutes.
3. Transfer to a platter to cool. Cut the chicken into pieces and grind with a food processor.
5. Cook over medium-low heat, until soft and transparent but not yet browned, about 12 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, bring the milk to a simmer; season with salt, pepper, and the nutmeg.
7.Reduce the heat, cover the pan, and keep hot.
8.Sift the flour into the skillet over the onion and cook, stirring constantly, for about 2 minutes.
8. It should be a compact and just-moist ball.
9. Spread out the ball in the pan and begin slowly stirring in the hot milk until the mixture is creamy and not too sticky when touched, about 5 minutes.
10. Reduce the heat to low and fold in the ground chicken. Cook, gently stirring, for 2 minutes.
11. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl to cool. Once cool, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for several hours until chilled. (This will make forming the croquettes easier.).
12. On a flat work surface dusted with flour, form croquettes into 2- to 2 1/2-inch (5- to 6.25-cm) long cylinders about 1 inch (2.5 cm) in diameter. Lightly roll in flour
13. Break the eggs in a bowl and thoroughly whisk. Place the breadcrumbs in a second bowl.
14. the croquettes in the egg and roll in breadcrumbs to completely cover.
15. In a skillet or sauté pan, heat at least 3/4 inch/2 cm of sunflower oil over medium-high heat.
16. Reduce the heat to medium-low.
17. Working in small batches that don’t crowd the pan, fry the croquettes, turning frequently, until they are golden on the outside and hot and creamy at the center, about 2 minutes.
18. Gently transfer them to absorbent paper towels to drain off excess oil. Serve hot.